Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Percs of Post-op Pain

Percocet is well...... a blessing and a curse.

Earlier today I was having pain. Now I hate medicating more than anyone but it's not like I can just unroll my yoga matt and and get rid of it. Besides today's was joint pain from the inner groin. AKA the part where they took some bone off (I think).

I tried fixing it with T3's like normal people but because I've had to take so many of those over the years.... The doctor asked me prior to sending me home this week if T3's did anything for me. After he found out that they don't, he gave me a prescription for the white devil that is percocet. I know that I'm taking them with legitimate cause and that I've had two this week, which hardly qualifies me for membership with the Amy Winehouse Fanclub, but I can't help but be scarred about addiction.

Maybe it's because I've seen too many episodes of Intervention while I've been home, or maybe a side effect of this lil' opiate is parnanoia. The truth is that this is the first time I've had to get one of those triplicate prescriptions and even the phramacisit was warning me that they're addictive.

So narcotics... prohibited substances? Should percocet be controlled? For your amusement, a completely non-scientific analysis is bellow. After consuming a dose of Percocet I have experienced the following:

-Paranoia
-Crazy dreams
-Audio Halucination (hearing stuff that isn't there)
-Night Sweats
-Finding it perfectly acceptable to blog about being under the influence (aka impaired judgement)
-Delerium (Giggles)
-The overwhelming craving for chips.

Offhand, I'd say taking percocet is like smoking really good weed. I hate drugs. I hate feeling like an idiot. It's not cool for me. I hate that I've moved beyond the norm of prescription pain meds onto narcotics. What will be next? Medicinal marijuana?

No really. I want to know. I am, after all, planning a huge party to celebrate walking and make up for having to cancel my 25th b-day party for a surgery. I'm sure that info will sway half the guest list.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm wide awake day 2 post op and all "percoceted up". It doesn't make me feel all crazy like that, just sleepy. Although I can't sleep, weird. How's your pain? I had a lot coming home from the first pt session and it was freaking me out, but after some rest and ice I feel pretty good. How long did your post op pain hurt before starting to settle. From one druggie to another, LOL.

    ReplyDelete