Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lazy Day

I read in the patient info I brought home that if I'm swelling more than usual, it's because I've either been sitting or walking too much. Well I'm not a doctor or anything, but I've been "walking" tonnes and can't sit up, so there's only one reason why I was so swollen I could hardly move.

Today I decided to take it a bit easier than I have been the last couple days. I had a meaningful 12 hour relationship with an icepack (in 15 minute intervals of course) and took it easy. That did the trick. It's all about balance I guess.

Speaking of balance..... I had Mom make me some grilled cheese sandwiches last night to clog the pipes. It worked. Thanks Mom!!

Now.... what's with this not being able to cross my legs? It's like hell... I can't move one of my legs but I cheat a bit by putting the heal of the operated leg between the toes of the other when I have to move. I can't lift it that well yet but I can abduct (move it to the side) like a rockstar. My bed is a tempurpedic memory foam thing. Great for my hips because im supported everywhere and sink right in... but it makes it nearly impossible to left my leg an inch off the mattress so i can move my legs apart like I'm supposed to.

Which brings me to my other beef...... This whole recovery thing is such a mixed message. Consider for a moment the following:

1) Wearing underwear is uncomfortable and inconvenient
2) I spend most of my time in bed
3) I'm under medical orders to keep my legs uncrossed
4) I am in the process of strengthening my glutes--- you know, those muscles you use for pelvic thrusting
5) I'm going to get hot and sweaty naturally, as part of healing.

What the eff?? This seems like prime time for gettin' some. Yeah I can only flex my hips to about 50 degrees.... but it's like I told this nurse the other day, "when I get to 60 you'd better lock up your daughters".

I'm going to go work on my quads now.

No comments:

Post a Comment